Welcome to the NWT Brewing Company - nestled between the wonder of the aurora borealis and the rugged nature of the northern frontier, our little brewing outpost is one of a kind. Located in the spirited town of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories we are the northernmost brewery in Canada.
As our company grows and expands we are seeking a dynamic individual to join our team as our Warehouse Manager and implement the day-to-day operations in the Warehouse.
Full-time and/or Part-time position available.
The Warehouse Manager at NWT BREWING COMPANY (NWTBC) is responsible for day-to-day operations in the warehouse including, but not limited to, the safe and efficient shipping, receiving, storage, and rotation of goods, inventory management, ensuring all operating systems in the warehouse are clean and functioning properly as well as taking and fulfilling orders for wholesalers and other accounts.
Duties also include providing leadership and training to warehouse staff to accomplish company goals and objectives and working with other members of the team to ensure day to day operations in the warehouse run in the manner of and to NWTBC’s standard.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
- The Warehouse Manager supervises the Warehouse team and works closely with the Lead Brewer on packaging, storage, and inventory. Supervisory responsibilities include training in work methods; planning, scheduling and assigning work; checking and approving work; conducting performance evaluations.
- Monitor and enforce performance standards to ensure high-levels of service, quality and customer satisfaction.
- Provide direct supervision to the warehouse team. Design, implement, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing level to effectively accomplish NWTBC’s goals and objectives including assisting with hiring. Train, supervise, and evaluate staff and motivate employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Develop schedule for warehouse department and monitor payroll on a daily basis.
- Maintain current inventory levels, as well as upcoming inventory and wholesaler allotment.
- Keep weekly records of all inventory including depletions and perform weekly inventory reconciliations.
- Monitor inventory for daily operations. Advise Supervisor of any discrepancies, potential shortages, etc. Check inventory on all raw materials, chemicals, beer, cooperage, small parts, packaging and paper products. Submit purchase requests as necessary and provide monthly reports on purchased materials brought into Warehouse inventory.
- Supervise and complete a comprehensive monthly inventory including finished beer, grain, raw materials, supplies, to be submitted to Office Manager with explanation for all variances.
- Track beer consumption volumes for all accounts including our brewpub sales vs. off sales via bi-weekly reports.
- Process and fulfil Keg Order Forms coming in from accounts, distributors, and retail customers and coordinate with NWTBC brewers in order to prepare all packaging logistics necessary to meet orders.
- Track beer/kegs going in and out via keg numbers
- Ship orders directly to accounts. Coordinate all orders and deliveries directly with said account Managers. Track beer being returned to the brewery and send to lab for testing if labelled as bad beer. Report immediately to lead brewer.
- Routinely monitor, update and contribute to all production and packaging calendars by maintaining an up-to-date keg manifest on the production whiteboard. Meet weekly with Lead Brewer to compare inventory of Finished Goods.
- Pick stock orders submitted by brewpub managers, including merchandise, liquor, consumables etc. and deliver as necessary.
- Coordinate all incoming and outgoing freight based on pre-arranged freight contracts.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations and policies.
- Keep abreast of and design and enforce policies and procedures and current developments in local, territorial and federal laws applicable to warehousing, safe food and material handling, shipping requirements health standards etc.
- Operate machinery from time to time including a forklift and supervise forklift operation in order to move goods, supplies and equipment around the facility safely and efficiently.
- Organize training for new forklift operators. Advise safety officer of any new operators for sign off of license.
- Troubleshoot and report all equipment problems, violations or substandard practices to the Owner immediately.
- Consult weekly cleaning and maintenance schedule & direct warehouse team to ensure they are completed regularly and to the appropriate standard.
- Monitor preventative maintenance on a weekly/monthly basis as required and follow all Cleaning & Maintenance Schedules.
- Be responsible for maintaining and completing all required paperwork and records including but not limited to inventory sheets, Bills of Lading, Invoices, etc.
- Ensure the entire warehouse facility including equipment, sinks, supplies, packaging line, shelving and storage areas are clean and comply with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene, and health and safety standards at all times. Make recommendations to supervisor for maintenance, repair and upkeep of facility and all equipment. Design, establish, and maintain a daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning and maintenance schedule & direct production team to ensure they are completed regularly and to the appropriate standard.
- Ensure maintenance jockey boxes, party taps, event supplies and have appropriate amount of Co2 available for event use.
- Establish operation standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, and complete and on-time delivery.
- Assist staff with day-to-day tasks, problems and needs concerning equipment, supplies, etc.
- Interact with customers and vendors to develop and maintain a favourable public image.
- Promote good public relations and handle complaints and concerns.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma
- Prefer candidates with qualification in distribution, logistics, transportation, management, business studies or retail management particularly if related to beer or food.
- At least 2 years of experience in a Commercial Production Brewery or warehouse.
- At least 2 year’s management experience.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule: days, nights and/or weekends.
- Forklift Certified (Certification available through the company)
- Valid Driver's License, current insurance coverage and clean driving abstract.
- Criminal records check.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong communication, administration, and managerial skills to interact with customers, vendors, and co-workers in a professional manner.
- Must possess superior organizational and planning skills.
- You must be reliable, punctual and an excellent communicator.
- Possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fast-paced work environment and work under tight deadlines.
- Technical skills including knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling techniques.
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment.
- Strong customer relations skills. Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Analytical ability to gather and summarize data, find solutions to various administrative problems.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Hands-on leadership skills for developing and training a team.
- Superior understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem solving skills.
Equipment, Machines and Software Used:
- This position requires the regular use of a computer, printer, copier, telephone, scanner, calculator, and a forklift.
- Computer Software: Ekos Beer Software, Beer Smith, Microsoft Office to include Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, and Basecamp.