Ecology North is a local grassroots environmental non-profit organization. We have ten staff and a busy office in downtown Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. We pride ourselves in having a rewarding and interesting workplace, and a positive team environment.
Ecology North is looking for a dynamic, energetic, independent person to work as the Admin/Office Manager. The successful candidate will work on a variety of tasks in a fun but busy, fast-paced office environment. The Admin/Office Manager will be responsible for making sure the office runs smoothly, and will contribute to diverse environmental initiatives in the realms of: environmental education, water stewardship, climate solutions, local food production, and waste reduction.
The successful candidate will be an experienced administrator, with a keen interest in the environment. They will have strong multi-tasking skills, excellent communication skills, and be proficient with computer and general office equipment. The Admin/Office Manager is responsible for overseeing staff and ensuring that the day to day administrative resource needs of the EN office are met in a consistent and timely manner. Comfort in handling money, using spreadsheets, and supporting the bookkeeper is a requirement for this position. The Admin/Office Manager will be the first point of contact from the public and must be able to represent Ecology North in a professional manner.
Closing Date January 4th, 2019
- Monitor cashflow and ensure timely deposits as related to Ecology North membership fees, donations, petty cash, rent-a-plate service, intermittent events or other sources of small cash;
- Maintain up-to-date bank deposits and print out the deposit sheet;
- Fulfill a coordinating roll for staff payroll and cheque signing and cheque distribution;
- Coordinate day-to day office organization by troubleshooting and rectifying technical issues as they arise, maintaining well stocked stationary supplies, improving physical or process systems where possible, facilitating or encouraging staff to maintain a clean and organized office environment;
- Assist all staff members when requested with general administration; and
- General filing duties.
Human Resource Management
- Coordinate regular staff meetings (and take minutes)
- Assist ED in providing ongoing support, communication, and dispute resolution with staff and board, as necessary;
- Assist ED with updating contracts and hiring, where needed;
- Provide orientation to new staff;
- Schedule exit interviews with outgoing staff and the ED;
- Collaborate with and provide mentorship and support to staff when they need assistance with project management and financial tracking for all Ecology North projects, at the discretion of ED.
- Answer the Ecology North phone, and administration e-mail messages and ensure that inquiries that are received by phone or by e-mail are directed to the appropriate person;
- Attend weekly or otherwise scheduled staff meetings to develop a general understanding of other staff’s project areas and to schedule and triage subsequent work planning, and take minutes at those meetings.
Ecology North Member Services
- Lead the organization of the Ecology North rent-a-plate service by monitoring reservations, pick-ups and payments and ensuring that the plates are cleaned, organized and ready to be used as needed;
- Lead the organization of the Ecology North vermi-composting service by maintaining healthy worms or delegating this task and facilitating members in obtaining worms when they visit the office;
- Ensure thank-you notes are written and distributed for donations.
Supporting the Bookkeeper by:
- Collecting and preparing money for deposit;
- Tracking petty cash and ensuring proper documentation;
- Collecting invoices and receipts and compiling them for bookkeeper;
- Ensuring staff timesheets are submitted on time;
- Working with budgets and project accounting;
- Tracking donations and memberships;
- Ensuring cheques are signed and bills paid within deadlines;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent planning and project management skills;
- Excellent computer literacy skills, including word processing, and spreadsheets ;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience with website maintenance and social media;
- A successful track record of planning, organizing, carrying out and evaluating public workshops and events (i.e. coordinating the Annual General Meeting);
- Ability to work effectively in teams as well as independently with minimal supervision
- Proven Human Resource Management skills;
- Enjoy working with a wide variety of people, including adults and children;
- Be able to work occasional evening and weekend hours with notice;
- Be self-directed and independent;
- Be a cheerful voice and face of Ecology North;
- Have a keen interest in the environment;
- Have an attention to detail;
- Have a keen interest in promoting a positive team environment for staff.
Educational Background and Experience:
A university or college degree with courses in administration, finance/bookkeeping, or communication would be beneficial. At least two years of work experience and/or a combination of education and experience.