Purpose of the Position
This position is a managerial role with full responsibility and direct management of assigned TIC & Group commercial/residential properties; ensuring that asset value, customer/client satisfaction, and revenue is maximized. The position oversees property management operations in the four Tlicho communities of Behchoko, Whati, Gamètì and Wekweètì.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Property Manager is primarily responsible for providing hands-on oversight, regular site management, communication, problem resolution, and regular reporting to the GM. While the goal is always to foresee any issues and prevent them before they happen, it’s typical for the Property Manager to be required to respond to unplanned or emergency situations.
The property manager will also be responsible for building and forging relationships with a variety of service providers (i.e. plumbers, electricians) and clients.
The incumbent must ensure that required reporting and work order submissions are completed timely and accurately, and that customer/client/management inquiries are handled in a sensitive, professional and pleasant manner. The incumbent must interact with and maintain a strong rapport with the above parties at all times and play a key role in projecting a helpful, professional, and respectful image for the company.
Regular travel will be required throughout the Tlicho communities.
- Forge relationships with property owners, contractors, and building occupants, executing proactive oversight, maintenance, and problem prevention.
- Work with the finance department and the GM in effectively resolving tenant issues, disputes, and contracts
- Understand and maintain building systems.
- Manage annual budgets, schedule expenses, initiate corrective measures, and prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data.
- Provide timely and effective service and accessibility while complying with applicable regulations.
- Establish rental rate by surveying local rental rates; calculating overhead costs, depreciation, taxes, and profit goals.
- Attract tenants where required.
- Negotiate leases and collecting security deposit.
- Maintain property by investigating and resolving tenant complaints; enforcing rules of occupancy; inspecting vacant units and completing repairs; planning renovations.
- Ensure properties are secure.
- Develop and enforce occupancy policies and procedures.
- Coordinate maintenance schedule
- Manage all aspects of assigned properties
- Inspect and arrange maintenance to meet standards.
- Maintain a positive, productive relationship with clients and tenants.
- Source and build relationships with prospective clients to expand business opportunities.
- Continuously update job and market knowledge.
- Perform regular site visits, monitoring all on-going maintenance/construction projects.
- Ensure required insurance certificates are up-to-date and maintained.
- Manage daily property requirements and maintain long-range capital improvements planning through regular inspections of property for damage, contractor effectiveness, and areas of improvement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Enhanced negotiation and conflict-management skills
- Proficient in computer programs, including Microsoft Office suite of applications and relevant databases and accounting software
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Proven work experience as a property manager
- Fully understanding property management and its financial aspects
- In depth knowledge of all rules and regulations surrounding property management
- Customer focus and bottom line orientation
- Interpersonal savvy with strong communication and presentation skills
- Well organized with excellent time management skills
- Knowledge of various property regulations
- Thorough understanding of creating and maintaining budgets
- Ability to travel and work an unpredictable schedule
- Ability to establish strong relationships with contractors and service providers
- Exceptional customer service skills and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of accounts payable, accounts receivable, and maintaining general ledgers.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain a professional standard of conduct and sound work ethics.
- Safety oriented.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of financial and client information.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural, diverse environment demonstrating cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent stress management skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Quick-thinking and resourcefulness.
Typically, the above would be attained by:
A university degree or a certificate, diploma, or combination of relevant courses in business administration, basic accounting/finance, and/or real estate property management coupled with a minimum of 5 years in a related role. We will consider equivalencies. Valid Class 5 license is required.