The 4Y Program is designed to meet the needs of children and youth in Yellowknife, N’Dilo, and Dettah, between the ages of 11 and 29, who have a disability caused by prenatal alcohol exposure (PAE) and for those with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). The program is trauma-informed and facilitated by a ‘navigator’. It includes arts, music, culture, life skills, and physical education components. Youth are involved in one-to-one sessions every week, and occasionally join in group sessions with other program participants.
We are looking for part-time navigators to work with children and youth in the 4Y Program. Approximately 3 - 10 hours a week. We are looking for an energetic person who can work independently, organize and create their own schedule, and also work cohesively with other staff. At times, this person will be working closely with the 4Y Program coordinator and other part-time facilitator staff, but will also be expected to work on their own. Specialized training will be provided before and throughout employment.
PAE and FASD are associated with a number of cognitive, learning, social, and emotional challenges. This can contribute to involvement in risky behaviour, including substance abuse, and can also contribute to poor mental health, depression, anxiety, and social isolation. It is extremely important for children and youth with FASD to have regular access to various supportive relationships, life-skills building opportunities, and a focus on proper diet and exercise.
For more information, check out the webpage: www.4yprogram.com
Please send resumes to Tristha Cruz at email@example.com
- coordinate meeting times with participants
- provide up to 4 hours a week of one to one support for each participant in the 4Y Program, focusing on life skills and physical activity
- work with 4Y program coordinator to create and implement a specialized program for each participant
- maintain consistent communication with family members and other people in the participant’s social network (ex. teachers, support workers)
- help individuals and their families navigate systems, such as education, justice, and medical
- connect with other community organizations and members to ensure the 4Y Program plays a part in wrap-around services in Yellowknife, N’Dilo, and Dettah
- attend community training sessions and events, when available, that are relevant to community wellness, children and youth, and FASD
- keep up to date records with all program sessions, community engagement, and network interactions
- provide weekly reports to 4Y Program Coordinator about the week’s activities
- participate in all staff meetings
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), and the ability to motivate and work with others
- Ability to create programming for children and youth ranging in age from 11 - 29
- Past experience working with children and youth in this age range
- Experience working with children and youth with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, or ability/willingness to take training
- Enthusiasm and desire to work with children and youth and make a positive impact on their life
- Knowledge of northern First Nations, Inuit, and Metis cultures
- Valid Driver’s license is an asset
- Vulnerable sector check (we will provide a letter to bring to the RCMP)
- Canadian residents only