This position is a key member of the emergency shelter team at the Centre for Northern Families, one of the programs operated by the Yellowknife Women’s Society.
We are seeking someone who is available to work weekend and overnight shifts (11pm to 7am).
The Emergency Shelter Casual Worker provides direct support/supervision to shelter residents within the Emergency Shelter and ensures services are professionally provided to residents and visitors.
***Must be legally permitted to work in Canada***
The Shelter Worker:
- Fills in for program employees when necessary and provides direct participant support,
- Oversees the residents accessing the Women's Centre to ensure they are safe and abide by Centre expectations,
- Ensures visitors and program users are treated professionally, and ensures files, records, and administrative tools are professionally implemented and maintained,
- Ensures the Centre premises are clean, safe and maintained, and all daily duties are completed as assigned, and
- Serves as a role model for a positive attitude and respectful behaviour.
- Diploma in social work, plus one years’ experience within a non-profit. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience providing supports to women and homeless people from diverse backgrounds that struggle with a myriad of challenges.
- Broad knowledge of social and economic issues facing Northern women and in particular, First Nations, Inuit, and Inuvialuit women.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to work cooperatively and professionally as part of a team and with other agencies and community partners.
- Good computer skills.
- Updated immunization and criminal records check.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification