Under the supervision and direction of the Operations Manager, the Chef leads and directs the Hospitality Team in preparing and serving all food products. The position of Chef is a hands-on cooking position and the Chef must be willing and able to work in all Bouwa Whee Catering areas of operation at the Snap Lake Diamond Mines on a 3x3 rotation from 7am to 7pm
Please note: Pick up point for this position is limited to the NWT and AB only. Candidates must be willing to travel to/from point of pick up (associated travel fees are not covered by Bouwa Whee Catering).
**Staff Housing Available for relocation to Yellowknife, NT**
**Covid-19 vaccines available for employees**
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Should have 3 – 5 years experience as a Hotel Executive Chef or as a Restaurant Kitchen Manager.
- Ability to provide and maintain food production for up to 25 people.
- Must have Red Seal certification or Journeyman Cook equivalent to qualify for position. Candidates selected will need to provide proof prior to interview.
- Must have current certificates in Food Safe, standard First Aid, WHMIS, and WSCC Mine Supervisor Level 2, and keep them updated as needed.
- Position requires knowledge of extensive computer operations, including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must have a complete understanding of inventory control and cost control systems.
- Safety system and loss prevention experience an asset.
- Physically fit and capable of warehousing, shipping, receiving, packing, and stacking pallets of perishable and non-perishable food items and cleaning supplies.
Duties include (but not limited to):
- Must be knowledgeable in the safe and efficient operation of all equipment in the Food Service area of operations
- Ensure that all members of the Food Service Team are fully knowledgeable about all equipment and the proper safe use of all kitchen and service equipment.
- Must have a complete understanding of the proper use of all cleaning chemicals in the Food Service area of operations and understand the safety precautions necessary while using these products.
- Must have a complete understanding of WHMIS and the Hazard Identification Program and apply this knowledge in day-to-day work
- Must have passed a LEVEL 2 Food Safe Program and ensure that safe food practices are always employed by members of the Food Service Team.
- Ensure payroll time sheets are being filled out and submitted for each pay cycle.
- Complete and monitor food temperature logs for each and all meal periods.
- Refrigerator and freezer temperatures must be taking twice daily and tracked in the binder provided.
- Oversee the Housekeeping and Janitorial duties and responsibilities ensuring that rooms are being cleaned properly and in a timely manner, laundry is being looked after, bathrooms, floors and garbage’s throughout the accommodation complex, dining area as well as offices are being properly maintained.
- Responsible to communicate all maintenance concerns and issue work orders to the client’s maintenance team.
- Be ready, willing and able to fulfill all reasonable related duties and requests of our client.
- Prepare daily progress report, which will clearly provide all information regarding any incidents and concerns within the Food Service/Accommodations Complex.
- Prepare weekly orders for groceries and other kitchen supplies, based on the needs of the kitchen and taking into account budgetary parameters and rotation of all stock.
- Complete daily kitchen log and prepare crossover report for cross shift so that there will be no change in service between shifts due to lack of communication.
- Track and forward to the Environment Department all monthly waste.
- Regular Room Allocation- Work with Travel Administrator so you are aware and updated on movement. This is a valuable tool for housekeeping cleaning schedule as well as all operational safety procedures.
- Follow the exciting 6-week cycle menu that will fulfill all the nutritional needs of our guests.
- Write and keep updated Standard Operating Procedures on all kitchen equipment and tasks.
- The Chef must cover any required shifts as needed (i.e. Dinner Service or Breakfast Service).
- Must maintain a “hands on” approach. The Chef is to be involved in all areas of the operation, an active part of the preparation of each product served and is to ensure only the highest quality product is presented to our guests.
- Ensure that Food Safe Practices are strictly adhered to, without exception.
- Ensure the “first in and first out system” for product rotation is strictly adhered to, with a color-coded label system.
- Assist team in cleaning duties, in addition to other daily duties.
- Must always lead team by example and keep a positive atmosphere within the kitchen.
We thank all applicants for submissions, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Bouwa Whee delivers great food, housekeeping and accommodation management services under some of the world’s most challenging conditions. Because we are the North – 100 percent aboriginal owned and headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – we know what northerners want and how to deliver it. That’s why we’re the contractor of choice at Diavik, Gahcho Kué and Snap Lake, three of Canada’s premier mines.