The Yellowknife Farmers Market (“YKFM”) is seeking the services of an individual who will support the Compost and Waste Reduction Program (the “Contractor”). The Contractor will work closely with the YKFM Program Coordinator
Submission Deadline: May 1st, 2019 at 17:00
Contract Value: $3,250.00 (Contractor responsible to remit GST)
Contract Duration: May 20th to October 1st, 2019
Terms of Payment: Monthly upon receipt of invoices
Prior to June 4, 2019:
- Confirm the indicators for the evaluation of the program and prepare templates for the data collection;
- Review and update the signs for the compost units;
- Purchase material for signs; and
- Schedule and assign tasks to volunteers.
Every Tuesday from June 4 to September 17, 2019:
- Coordinate the set up/ take down of the compost units; survey the food vendors for compliance; assign tasks to volunteers;
- Participate in the inspection and weighing of the compost and garbage bags;
- Ensure that the compost units are being emptied and the bags are disposed in the city's organic container;
- Collect and record weekly evaluation data required for reporting; and
- Provide weekly social media messages on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
September 18 to October 1st, 2019:
- Write a report to the YKFM Board of Directors summarizing the data collected during the season and making recommendations to improve the program for the next year.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of the Compost Program and of the compostable dinnerware used at the YKFM;
- Ability to conduct surveys to verify that all vendors are complying with the program;
- Attention to detail;
- The Contractor should be able to produce accurate work with minimal supervision; and
- Ability to use social media to relay waste reduction and compost concepts to the public.
- Must enjoy working with the public;
- Have interpersonal skills and diplomacy;
- Be dynamic and have initiative;
- Be able to work outdoors and be prepared for the elements; and
- Be able to provide light physical effort and walk and stand for periods up to three (3) hours.
The Yellowknife Farmers Market is a non-profit society formed in 2013 to promote and grow the local food system in Yellowknife. The summer Tuesday market is a natural byproduct of this vision. The Market provides a venue for economic exchange and a marketplace for Yellowknifers to purchase locally baked, cooked, processed and harvested goods. When organizers first planned the Market they nervously wondered if anyone would show up. Indeed they did! The weekly summer Market and the annual Christmas Farmers Market have been packed since the very first week. The Yellowknife Farmers Market has an economic impact to the local economy of close to $1 million annually. It’s quickly become the gathering place for friends and family to enjoy a dinner in the sun and support local growers, harvesters, bakers, cooks and artists.