The NWT Resource Centre Cook will be responsible to prepare and cook nutritious meals for 60-100 people twice each day and be an integral component of fulfilling the mission of The Salvation Army in the community.
This is a casual unionized position. As this is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, it will be a 40-hour work week until September 1, 2019. The applicant must be between 15 and 30 years old on the first day of hire.
· Creation of daily menu plan.
· Prepare and serve nutritious meals for supper and lunch as outlined on menus.
· Serve prepared meals at lunch and supper serving times in accordance with applicable food service and safety regulations.
· Serve lunch time meal to shelter during weekend shifts.
· Lunch and supper meal clean up to include, but not limited to, dishes, cooking and eating utensils, all cookware, all serving tables, and kitchen floors.
· Food Safe Certification
· High School graduate
· Completion of recognized Cooking Certification
· One to three years of prior related experience in high volume cooking
· Experience in nutritional needs of homeless and addicted population
· WHMIS and First Aid certifications would be considered an asset
· Criminal Record Check required
Core values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.