The NWT Resource Centre Cook will be responsible to prepare and cook nutritious meals for 60-80 people twice each day and be an integral component of fulfilling the mission of The Salvation Army in the community.
• Creation of daily menu plan.
• Prepare and serve nutritious meals for supper and lunch as outlined on menus.
• Serve prepared meals at lunch and supper serving times in accordance with applicable food service and safety regulations.
• Serve lunchtime meals to shelter during weekend shifts.
• Lunch and supper meal clean up to include, but not limited to, dishes, cooking and eating utensils, all cookware, all serving tables, and kitchen floors
• Food Safe Certification
• High School graduate
• Completion of recognized Cooking Certification
• One to three years of prior related experience in high volume cooking
• Experience in nutritional needs of the homeless and addicted population
• WHMIS and First Aid certifications would be considered an asset
• Acceptable criminal records check is required
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 128 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
Core values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.