CKLB is currently seeking a qualified Language Announcer / Host to deliver daily programming in the Denesuline Yati dialect.
CKLB, the radio division of The Native Communications Society of the NWT has a team of creative, passionate, and talented individuals. CKLB delivers News, Current Affairs and diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily in five aboriginal languages and English, with coverage spanning the entire Northwest Territories and beyond.
This position can either be part time or full-time, working in a creative cross cultural environment.
- Work in partnership with other news and radio staff
- Natural delivery on air
- Bring story ideas to the table on a daily basis
- Conduct telephone interviews and research stories as needed
- Read live newscasts and weather in Denesuline Yati and English
- Cover community news and events, filing voice reports by phone or electronically as required
- Interview elders and local community members for old time stories
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL HAVE THESE QUALITIES:
- Be a team player
- Has a genuine interest for News and Community Affairs
- Have a passion for telling stories
- Interested in a career in radio and preserving aboriginal language
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Fluent in the Denesuline Yati dialect
- On air radio experience an asset, willing to train
- Experience with Sound Forge or Adobe Audition editing is an asset
- Experience with interviewing considered an asset
- Community connections within NWT Denesuline areas
- Must be able to take direction
- Ability to translate from English
- Possess a valid Drivers’ License and a clean Driver’s abstract