Full time permanent Position.
Purpose of the Position
The Early Childhood Educator Support Teacher is responsible to help the supervising teacher with the day-to-day operation of the child day care facility by:
- Assisting in the delivery of the daily program
- Supervising children
- Following policies and procedures established by the operator.
There may be times when the ECE Support Teacher will be asked to fill in the role of the Primary staff for short periods of time, i.e. if a primary teacher is sick, or on holidays.
Under the direction of the Daycare Coordinator and Primary Staff, the ECE Support Teacher is responsible for creating and supporting a warm, nurturing environment that builds on children’s developmental assets.
Due to the vulnerability of this population, it is always critical that safety be a priority and all safety requirements be adhered to. Failure to provide adequate services resulting in an unsafe or unfit environment for children could result in personal liability for the Support Teacher.
- Assist in the delivery of the daily program, as requested by the supervisor. Main duties:
- Assist with activities on the daily program
- Supervise children during free play, outdoor play and field trips
- Assist children with personal tasks – e.g. diapering, dressing for outdoor play, hand washing
- Advise supervisor of equipment and maintenance needs
- Supervise the children attending the facility at the request of the director or head teacher to cover breaks and shift change.
- Follow policies and procedures established by the operator. These include:
- Positive Behaviour Policy and Procedures
- Parental Involvement Procedures
- Emergency Evacuation Procedures
- Routines – e.g. snack time, outdoor play
- Understand and fulfill the role of a support staff person in the operation of the facility:
- Carry out administrative duties as requested by supervisors
- Wash and sanitize equipment and furnishings
- Keep information on children and families confidential
- Know the location and use of emergency equipment, and emergency contact numbers
- Pursue ongoing professional development through appropriate courses, seminars, or workshops.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Minimum age 19
- Satisfactory criminal record check, including a vulnerable sector search, completed by the RCMP*
- Statement about whether there are any outstanding criminal charges, and details*
- Up-to-date immunizations*
- Tuberculosis screening*
- Current First Aid and infant/child CPR certifications
*required by the NWT Child Day Care Standards Regulations