Position Title: Environmental Technician
Reports to: Manager of Environmental Consulting
Department: Environmental Consulting
The Environmental Technician performs key tasks for environmental projects, including spill response, site assessment and remediation. Environmental Technician responsibilities include field work in remote locations, obtaining samples from various media, coordinating subcontractors and laboratory requisitions, and writing summary and compliance reports. The Environmental Technician also assists the Project Manager in managing operations at soil treatment facilities operated by KBL, including soil/snow/water acceptance, treatment campaigns, confirmatory sampling, compliance monitoring, annual reporting and budget tracking.
Completing environmental field work by:
- Travelling to remote locations to complete field work;
- Coordinating transportation, logistics and subcontractors as directed by the Project Manager;
- Completion of, and participation in, health and safety assessments and documentation, responsible for overall site safety to ensure that KBL protocols and operating procedures are followed; and
- Collection of samples from various types of media (soil, groundwater, surface water, and air), ensuring that collection methods and procedures meet the technical requirements in place at the location the work is occurring.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, assisting with the management of operations at KBL’s own soil treatment facilities and partner facilities by:
- Communicating with clients to ensure they understand the full capabilities of each individual facility; submitting pricing and acceptance criteria information;
- Reviewing analytical data of waste destined for the facility to ensure it meets acceptance criteria;
- Tracking incoming waste to ensure accuracy for annual reporting;
- Invoicing clients for waste accepted;
- Completing treatment campaigns of soil and water as required; collecting confirmatory samples;
- Ensuring waste materials are documented and processed in a manner which allows for tracking individual sources from acceptance to treatment to removal;
- Operating the facility within the limits set forth by the facility approval documents (water license, operations and maintenance plan etc.);
- Liaison with regulators to ensure that all facility compliance objectives are met; and
- Annual compliance sampling and reporting.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, assisting with existing environmental projects by:
- Obtaining third party quotes for services required for project completion;
- Scheduling logistics, personnel and subcontractors;
- Reviewing jurisdictional guidelines and protocols to ensure proper sample collection methods and data comparisons; and
- Reporting of all technical aspects of project work completed, in a manner which meets client and regulatory requirements.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
- University Degree or College Diploma in Environmental Sciences (or similar);
- Specialized knowledge in the areas of environmental site assessment and remediation, including sampling of soil, water and air, interpretation of results and reporting;
- Specialized knowledge in the areas of industrial hygiene including the sampling of lead-based paint, asbestos, and moulds would be considered an assetAdept at working with little supervision, problem solving and adapting to change;
- Able to find ways to obtain project objectives and deliverables, while maintaining time and budget constraints;
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral; ability to interact with various types of stakeholders, regulators and first nations;