The Yellowknife Farmers Market (“YKFM”) is seeking the services of an individual who will support the setup of equipment for the weekly markets (the “Contractor”). The Contractor will work closely with the YKFM Market Manager.
Submission Deadline: May 1st, 2019 at 17:00
Contract Value: $2,000.00 (Contractor responsible to remit GST)
Contract Duration: June 4st to September 17, 2019
Terms of Payment: Monthly upon receipt of invoices
- Every Tuesday, June 4th to September 17, 2019 pick up the equipment from the YKFM storage unit before 15:45 and return it after 19:45;
- Arrive at the Somba k’e Civic Plaza around 15:45;
- Set up the Market INFO table and the Harvesters table i.e. tables, chairs, supplies and tents with banners and weights;
- Install chalkboard signs at both entrances;
- Install composting units next to the garbage cans;
- Throughout the duration of the Market remove the full bags from the compost bins and replace them;
- Dispose of the compost bags at the end of the evening in the nearby organic dumpster;
- Stay visible and accessible to vendors, customers and the Market Manager during Market operations;
- Prior to leaving the Market at the end of the Market day, ensure the area is clean;
- Perform other duties as required by the Market Manager.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to set up tents, signs, compost bins.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and insurance;
- Must enjoy working with the public;
- Have interpersonal skills and diplomacy;
- Be able to perform physical tasks such as lifting tents, tables and chairs.
- Be able to walk and stands outside for periods of up to 3 hours.
The Yellowknife Farmers Market is a non-profit society formed in 2013 to promote and grow the local food system in Yellowknife. The summer Tuesday market is a natural byproduct of this vision. The Market provides a venue for economic exchange and a marketplace for Yellowknifers to purchase locally baked, cooked, processed and harvested goods. When organizers first planned the Market they nervously wondered if anyone would show up. Indeed they did! The weekly summer Market and the annual Christmas Farmers Market have been packed since the very first week. The Yellowknife Farmers Market has an economic impact to the local economy of close to $1 million annually. It’s quickly become the gathering place for friends and family to enjoy a dinner in the sun and support local growers, harvesters, bakers, cooks and artists.