Nestled between the wonder of the aurora borealis and the rugged nature of the northern frontier, our little brewing outpost is one of a kind. Located in the spirited town of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories we are the second northernmost brewery in Canada. Our 112 seat brewpub is seeking a head chef that has extensive experience working in a commercial kitchen. You must have the ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment that is very team oriented and requires a positive attitude while at work. Red Seal certification is an asset.
Salary: $59,800/year plus gratuities + bonuses = ~ $85,000/year
Term: 2 years minimum
Available: July 01, 2019 (Flexible)
Your duties will be to develop and provide gastro-pub food to the restaurant, ensure the smooth running of the kitchen, maintain the quality of product both in house and any off premises event. You will also be expected to oversee all aspects of the kitchen operations; including menu planning, food costs, ordering and receiving, hygiene and sanitation, recruitment, retention and development of kitchen employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage Kitchen Staff – scheduling, training, semi-annual job performance reviews, ensuring employee development and safety in the kitchen.
2. Operations – order and maintain stock, keep records and develop a menu with an approved food cost range.
3. Quality Control – ensure quality of dishes and be sure they are served on schedule, including the approval of all items that leave the kitchen. Develop and standardize recipes to ensure consistency.
4. Safety and Sanitation - guarantee that the entire kitchen, prep area, walk-in fridge, storage area etc. are up to health code standards. Maintain all kitchen equipment.
5. Front of House - keep all FOH staff informed by providing and maintaining product descriptions for all menu items and tastings for nightly specials.
6. Off-site Events – be available to coordinate, assist, and/or perform entirely any in house or off premise projects. Be sure to recognize and meet all deadlines and expectations of assignments.
Minimum 5 years working in a commercial kitchen. Red Seal certification is an asset.