This is an exciting time for Habitat for Humanity Northwest Territories. We have launched an ambitious plan to build two family homes this year, and our first outside of Yellowknife. We are seeking a dynamic Executive Director to lead our efforts who is passionate about providing affordable housing options to Northwest Territories residents. This is a part-time (20 hours weekly) position.
Habitat for Humanity Northwest Territories is a registered charity working toward a North where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. Our mission is to mobilize volunteers and community partners to build homes and promote homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty. With the help of volunteers, our goal is to build strength, stability and self-reliance by providing Northern families with safe, decent, and affordable homes. We operate the Restore at the Yellowknife Solid Waste facility from May – September, which sell new and gently used furniture, home accessories, building materials, and appliances to the public at a fraction of the retail price. These profits are then re-invested in future home builds. The Executive Director works closely with the Board of Directors to develop goals and execute strategies that support Habitat's mission.
- Build a spirit of teamwork - engaging staff, Board, Habitat homeowners, donors, and volunteers to achieve organizational goals.
- Work with local governments, professional organizations, economic development groups, and other non- profit organizations to coordinate Habitat’s activities and new builds.
- Support the Board and various committees with timely and accurate information. Assist Board Chair in agenda setting, attend all required Board and committee meetings, and provide reports of all affiliate activities to the Board.
- Oversee and complete financial reporting, accounting, communications and social media, as well as general management of Restore facility.
- Develop strategies for fundraising and donor recognition including grants, donations and events.
- Liaison with the Family Services Committee to ensure a fair, accurate partner family selection process and regular updates with current Habitat partner families.
- Oversee the construction management effort on new projects, ensuring that projects are completed on time and within budget, using volunteer labor and donated materials as much as possible.
- Work with local governments to identify potential locations for new projects in communities across the NT; work with the relevant persons to prepare and manage the project through all necessary design and permitting requirements.
- Complete reports and regular liaison with Habitat Canada and other Canadian affiliates.
- Drafting and execution of the organization’s Strategic Plan
- Representing Habitat for Humanity Northwest Territories in communications with partner families and volunteers, media and members of the public.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff. (1 part-time Restore employee and 1 part-time summer student).
Qualifications & Experience:
- University degree in a relevant field. Significant related experience will be considered as a substitute.
- At least six years of experience in senior management, ideally in a non-profit organization.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Preferred experience working with municipal governments
- 5+ or years’ experience in financial management/fund development
- History of creating and implementing comprehensive strategic fundraising plans.
- Ability to motivate a team (both volunteer and staff) to achieve high expectations.
- An understanding of real estate development and construction operations in the North is a plus
This is a part-time position. To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Closing date April 10, 2021. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Learn more about us at www.habitatnwt.ca