For more than 25 years, SideDoor has worked with youth to assist in moving from crisis to stability in a supportive, respectful and inclusive environment. The SideDoor is located in Yellowknife, NT.
The mission of SideDoor is to prevent, reduce and end youth homelessness. SideDoor was founded in 1995 and has adapted and changed over the years to meet the needs of vulnerable youth.
SideDoor is involved in many programs and services, focused on homeless2HOPE, including:
- HOME4U: Emergency Shelter, Transitional Housing and Housing First for YOUth;
- HELP4U: Resource Centre - Employment, Literacy, Training and Life Skills; and
- HOPE4U: Wellness Supports (Mental Health & Addictions) and Practical Supports including Emergency Food Hamper Program.
About Yellowknife: Yellowknife is the capital of the Northwest Territories, Canada. The city is located in the territory of the Yellowknives Dene First Nation and was founded in 1934. Yellowknife has more than 20,000 residents and has become a cultural, economic and government services hub for the territory. Diamonds were discovered in the area in 1991, and three operating diamond mines are within short flights of Yellowknife.
The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors to develop and implement programs that achieve the outcomes set by the Board, to manage overall Human Resources and staff training, to plan and direct the work of front-line departments and contractors in the execution of programs, to develop and maintain community participation and support, to provide support to the volunteer leadership, and to secure adequate resources to support various programs and assets.
SideDoor supports practice through a harm reduction and trauma informed lens, placing priority on participant, safety, choice and control. All SideDoor programs support participant empowerment and skill development.
The incumbent is a passionate leader who lives and models the values of SideDoor. The incumbent will:
- hold a university degree (preferably masters level) in a related field (business administration, finance or social work); however, a combination of education and relevant experience will be considered.
- have five (5) or more years of recent senior management experience.
- have demonstrated management and/or board experience in a not-profit organization or charity.
- have experience working with a budget of $1M or greater.
- have human resources management experience.
- have experience working with vulnerable youth.
- have relevant skills to prevent, reduce and end youth homelessness in Yellowknife.
- have a knowledge of Indigenous issues in a northern context.
- have a satisfactory criminal record check.
- Benefits: Medical and Dental benefits (50% paid by employer) and Group RRSP (5% matched by employer).
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Application deadline: September 18, 2020
SideDoor is celebrating 25 years supporting YOUth (1995-2020).
Originally opening as a Drop-In Youth Centre in 1995 SideDoor has grown exponentially, now operating supports including day shelter, meals and snacks, laundry and shower facilities, hygiene products, , computers, telephone, fax, etc.
Hope's Haven at 5114-52nd Street
24/hour Housing and Supports
Transitional Housing - YOUth in Transition
1. Housing and Supports:
Temporary: Emergency Shelter -
Safe Haven for YOUth experiencing homelessness (on site)
Transitional: Youth in Transition –
Short-term housing and supports (on site)
Permanent: HOME4U –
Permanent Housing and Supports (off site)
2. Resource Centre 4 YOUth:
HOME4U: Housing and Tenancy
HELP4U: Employment, Literacy and Training
HOPE4U: Mental Health and Addictions &
Practical Supports and Life Skills
Referral Services and Practical Supports –
Drop-In Centre, Meals, Showers, Laundry, etc
The SideDoor exists to instil values, character and community that will empower Northern youth to find fulfilment (HOPE) by providing a safe haven and practical supports. We are committed to preventing, reducing and ending youth homelessness in Yellowknife for youth, ages 12-24.