Support Worker will provide care one-on-one children with a disability during the summer. The worker provides a supportive, inclusive, and fun environment for the child to best meet the child’s individual needs. Due to COVID-19 protocols, this program is very flexible and will be running in controlled indoor and outdoor settings with heightened infection control procedures to ensure the safety of the child and the worker.
The worker reports to the Director of Programs, or, in their absence, the Executive Director. The position begins around July 6 and will last 7 weeks.
- Works one-to-one with a child with a disability in Yellowknife.
- Will work directly with the program coordinator to develop programming and activities to do with the child that meet their individual needs.
- Assists children with involvement in the integrated activities provided
- Administer medication if required in accordance to procedure.
- Implement behavior modification strategies if/when needed, as directed by a written protocol.
- Works as a team member.
- Communicate frequently with parents to:
- Arrange drop-off/pick-up times and locations;
- Discuss day’s events with parents/guardians;
- Ensure that parent’s wishes are carried out to the best of our ability.
- Document daily records of the children’s participation levels
- Create and carry a daily log booklet to be given to parents/guardians, regarding the child’s day in the program
- Provide written feedback at the end of each child’s week regarding successes, challenges, and suggested improvements for future years
- Complete incident/accident reports as required
- Attending or will be attending post-secondary education in a related human service field.
- Knowledge of special needs programming and Disabilities.
- Experience working with children with disabilities.
- Camp experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Enjoyment of the outdoors.
- Ability to participate in hiking, swimming, boating activities, etc.
- Driver’s License and availability of a vehicle an asset.