Support Worker will assist children with disabilities while participating in a community summer recreation program. The worker provides a fully supportive and inclusive environment to benefit the child’s individual needs. The worker reports to the Program Coordinator, or in their absence, the Executive Director. The position is 9 weeks beginning around June 22nd and ending around August 28th.
- Works in a one-to-one or one support worker to two children atmosphere.
- Works with children with varying disabilities in a Yellowknife recreation program of the family’s choice
- Assists children in following the routine for the summer camp.
- Assists children with involvement in the integrated activities provided
- Provide alternative activates when required by the child or parent.
- Administer medication if required in accordance to procedure.
- Implement behavior modification strategies if/when needed, as directed by a written protocol.
- Works as a team member with the Council and community recreation program staff.
- Communicate frequently with parents to:
- Arrange drop-off/pick-up times and locations;
- Discuss day’s events with parents/guardians;
- Ensure that parent’s wishes are carried out to the best of our ability.
- Document daily records of the children’s participation levels
- Create and carry a daily log booklet to be given to parents/guardians, regarding the child’s day at camp
- Provide written feedback at the end of each child’s week regarding successes, challenges, and suggested improvements for future years
- Complete incident/accident reports as required
- Attending or will be attending post-secondary education in a related human service field.
- Knowledge of special needs programming and Disabilities.
- Experience working with children with disabilities.
- Camp experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Enjoyment of the outdoors.
- Ability to participate in hiking, swimming, boating activities, etc.
- Driver’s License and availability of a vehicle an asset.