Are you interested in working with wild plants and manufacturing northern products? Laughing Lichen is seeking a motivated, hardworking, and responsible candidate to join our team that is comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions (bugs, bears, and -40!).
- Harvesting and processing native wild herbs, berries, and fungi.
- Hiking and foraging outdoors on various terrain and in all types of weather year-round.
- Assisting with daily maintenance and operations of business both indoors and outdoors.
- Processing retail orders, shipping and receiving.
- Manufacturing and packaging of herbal products such as oils, salves, soap, herbs, and tea.
- Respond to and receive telephone, and email enquiries from customers.
- Assisting with various administrative tasks
- proficient in typing
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to use Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel, and basic math skills.
- An interest in learning about wild plants, mushrooms, and berries of the north.
- Comfortable working outdoors for long hours in environments where wildlife and all weather conditions may be encountered.
- Ability to clearly communicate with staff and clientele.
- Proficiency in English reading and writing skills.
- Comfortable working both as a team member and independently with minor supervision.
- Capable of multi-tasking, planning several activities simultaneously.
- Valid Food safety/Food Handling Course
- Physically fit and able to lift-up to 40 lbs, carry backpacks, and hike up to 5 kilometers per/day.
- Employee will be responsible for providing their own outdoor clothing suitable for all weather conditions such as warm winter boots, rubber boots, proper hiking boots, bug jacket, raingear etc.
- Drivers License/personal transportation is a requirement for this position.
- Ability to commute to business location daily located 30kms from Yellowknife, NT.
- A Satisfactory Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search will be a condition of Offer of employment.
- Strong strategic thinking skills
- An interest in marketing and sales
- First Aid/CPR/wilderness First Aid
- Knowledge and identification of native plant, fungi, and lichens
- Educational background in manufacturing, herbalism, retail, biology, ecology, research, botany and teaching.
How to Apply:
Application is open to residents of the Northwest Territories only.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and references outlining how they meet the specific requirements for the position to Amy Maund by Email at: email@example.com
This is a full-time permanent position.
Submission deadline: Until a suitable candidate is found.
We appreciate all applications but only those that are selected for an interview will be contacted. Indigenous candidates are encouraged to apply. This opportunity will be posted until filled.
Established in 2010 Laughing Lichen is a tea farm, learning centre and manufacturer of wild foraged products operating in Canada’s northern wilderness. Our facility is “off-the-grid” powered using solar energy. We teach workshops and offer Internship training in the field of wild foods, herbal medicine, ecology, and traditional economy. The products we create are crafted in small batches using wild herbs, berries, lichens, and fungi foraged from across the Northwest Territories. Our product line includes teas, herbs, spice dried forest products, soap, candles, and personal care products. Spurred by our love of nature, Laughing Lichen was founded upon our value of ethical harvesting to ensure a sustainable future for everyone - our forests included. Laughing Lichens high quality wild ingredients are harvested by hand in the wilderness. Our Facilities are located approximately 30 minutes via road from Yellowknife along HWY 4.