The position runs Monday-Friday 9:30am-5:30pm.
You'll be responsible for engaging with youth and implementing daily programming that focuses on developing life skills. There will be three sessions for youth per day (morning, afternoon, and after school) to accommodate school schedules. Ages of youth will vary from 12 - 23.
Due to the social distancing measures from the COVID-19 pandemic, safety measures will be in place. In this position, you will be working on a team to ensure the youth have a fun and educational time.
This program will specifically focus on the development of life skills, which will support their success in their transition to adulthood.
This includes: career preparation education health and nutrition self-care money management risk prevention healthy relationships positive mental health housing and home management addiction education learner's driving license
Rules for FFCNWT day camp workers / respite staff during the COVID-19 pandemic 1.
I will not come into work if I or anyone in my household is experiencing any of the symptoms of COVID-19, or if anyone in my household is in self-isolation and has been interacting with me. If I live with someone who has an immunocompromised system, or if I have an immunocompromised system, I will not be doing this work right now. I will provide as advanced notice as possible to the FFCNWT if I am feeling sick and cannot work.
2. I will ensure to take extra measures outside of when I am working to stay away from people, other than those in my immediate household. If I have to go shopping, I must put effort in to avoid touching things with my hands and then touching my face, and stay at least 2 metres away from other people. I will wash my hands and change clothing upon returning home from shopping to reduce the chance of being infected by the virus. I will practice ‘social distancing’ every day.
3. I must wash my hands regularly at work as well as at home, and continue to remind the kids to do so too when working with them.
4. I will regularly monitor the kids I am caring for for signs of sickness during the day care / respite care. If I notice any of the kids in camp have any of the symptoms of COVID-19, I will contact their caregiver(s) right away. I have the right to keep myself safe and ask to cancel the camp going forward if the kids are sick.
● discuss COVID-19 safety with the youth everyday, to remind them about hand washing, not touching their face, staying 2 meters from everyone outside, etc.
● Engage with youth at all times; be open, communicative, and supportive
● Ensure youth are supervised at all times
● Lead activities with enthusiasm and energy. Activities may include playing outside, going for walks, attending workshops held by other organizations, doing crafts, playing cards, group games, reading, watching videos, and helping youth with their school work, as well as leading life skill lessons.
● Follow the daily schedule, and contribute to the programming schedule to make sure it fits the youth and addresses their needs as best as possible
● Respect all equipment and facilities, and ensures proper care, use, and maintenance of them
● Prepare/set-up/supervise games and activities
● Communicate with parents and caregivers throughout the day when needed
● Ensure all spaces are cleaned and sanitized at the end of each day
● First Aid and CPR Certificate is an asset
● Excellent communication skills and ability to lead groups of youth and work with others
● Enthusiasm and desire to work with children and make a positive impact on their life
● Knowledge of northern cultures
● Experience working with children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) an asset
● If worker is 19+ years old, they will need a complete criminal record check with vulnerable sector
● Willingness to get a child protection records check completed in all places you have lived in the past 5 years