Term: Part-Time (20hrs/week), June 1st, 2019 – August 31st 2019
The Harvesters Table:
The Yellowknife Farmers Market would like to increase the amount of produce offered at the weekly market as an essential piece of food security in Yellowknife and to help increase the quantity and quality of food generated in Yellowknife gardens. We would like food growers and harvesters in Yellowknife to help us achieve that goal. The Harvesters Table project allows members of the community to bring extra produce from their gardens and the Yellowknife Farmers Market sells it through the Table on their behalf. The proceeds are split between the gardeners and the Market depending on the level of Market involvement in preparing and marketing the produce for sale. The Market views the Harvesters Table as serving three important community needs:
- It provides a market for locally grown excess produce which reduces the amount of local food
that goes to waste.
- By providing an income for gardeners, the Harvesters table encourages gardeners to maximize the amount of food they grow to match the available space rather than to simply
meet their own needs.
- By reducing the upfront costs and risks associated with renting a stall, the Harvesters table
offers a bridge to local gardeners who might consider starting a small business selling their
produce at the market.
- Manage the Facebook group: encourage food growers to share tips.
- Provide support to vendors to market products for sale, including help with pricing, putting in bags, etc.
- Every Tuesday set-up and manage the Harvesters Tables and ensure that necessary supplies are available.
- Distribute donated products not sold at the Market to community organizations or other YKFM programs.
- Keep statistics, among others, of the type of products, volume, quantity, number of tables, and number of vendors.
- Write a final report describing the achievements towards the development of commercial growers, the successes and difficulties encountered during 2019 season and recommendations and a plan and cost analysis for the improvement and continuation of this program.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual that has experience with community development and engagement, as well as some gardening experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions can be submitted to Tom Money, VP Yellowknife Farmers Market (YKFM) by email at email@example.com. Questions will be answered within 2 business days via email with a return reply acknowledging receipt of the email.
The Yellowknife Farmers Market is a non-profit society formed in 2013 to promote and grow the local food system in Yellowknife. The summer Tuesday market is a natural byproduct of this vision. The Market provides a venue for economic exchange and a marketplace for Yellowknifers to purchase locally baked, cooked, processed and harvested goods. When organizers first planned the Market they nervously wondered if anyone would show up. Indeed they did! The weekly summer Market and the annual Christmas Farmers Market have been packed since the very first week. The Yellowknife Farmers Market has an economic impact to the local economy of close to $1 million annually. It’s quickly become the gathering place for friends and family to enjoy a dinner in the sun and support local growers, harvesters, bakers, cooks and artists.