Coordinate regional health and safety programs to ensure compliance with Corporate policies, procedures and standards, Health and Safety legislation, regulations, codes, and practices. Provide advice and technical support to management and staff. Ensure effective training, communication, monitoring, and reporting systems are in place to secure a safe and healthy work environment throughout the Corporation in order to safeguard employees, contractors, and the general public.
- Assist to determine department objectives, provide input to planning, and assess and coordinate department workload and priorities.
- Administer effective health & safety programs and provide technical expertise and guidance in the interpretation and application of health & safety legislation, regulations, rules, codes, standards, and industry best practices as they pertain to NTPC. Provide coaching and mentoring to workers to improve safety culture and performance, and provide and receive training to and from co-workers.
- Work with the other members of the HSE Division and the Human Resources Division to identify training needs, research current industry best practices and standards, improve and administer HSE programs, liaise with other departments, and deliver effective training programs to ensure all personnel are aware of and understand their responsibility to prevent injury and illness to personnel and damage to equipment and the environment.
- Work with senior and middle management to implement incident and concern reporting and investigation guidelines as well as follow-up action programs. Coordinate and conduct incident investigations, analyses, reports, and follow-up, ensuring proper documentation and records management is completed. Advise the Director of any environmental concerns or issues to ensure health & safety programs are effectively integrated with environmental programs.
- Liaise with regulators, industry representatives, and the public with regard to the Health & Safety Program through written correspondence, meetings, presentations, and other forms of verbal communication.
- Work in conjunction with the HSE Division to conduct in-depth plant, facility, and worksite inspections and audits to monitor work practices and procedures. Prepare inspection reports and ensure procedures and timelines are in place for corrective action wherever deficiencies are identified.
- Administer the NTPC Emergency Response Plan and procedures and participate as an HSE representative on NTPC emergency response teams when required.
- Prepare position papers, briefing notes, bulletins, memos, and presentations to ensure the effective communication of health & safety programs and strategies.
- Perform other responsibilities in applicable areas within the Division as assigned by the Director.
- Canadian occupational health & safety diploma required.
- Certification as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) preferred.
- Minimum three years of experience in coordinating and supervising occupational health & safety programs, preferably in the public utility field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Strong leadership and coaching abilities.
- Strong instructional, public speaking, and presentation skills to deliver and/or facilitate effective training.
- Excellent computer skills including the ability to apply Microsoft programs (Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet, and other software applicable to the position.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills to conduct investigations and provide effective recommendations.
Salary for this position ranges from $49.40/hr - $60.02/hr. We offer location & Accommodation allowances of approximately $16,008 per annum plus a comprehensive benefits package, which includes Health and Dental Benefits, Life Insurance, paid Sick Days and a Defined Pension Plan
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.