Northwestel is a truly northern company. We employ more than 500 skilled northern workers to help in delivering telecommunications service to 96 communities across Canada’s North. Together, we are a diverse group of northerners, working to connect our communities through innovative communication solutions designed for life in the North.
We offer a wide range of career opportunities, including positions in information technology, network engineering, customer service, marketing, finance, and human resources.
Northwestel is recognized as one of Canada’s best employers for recent graduates. Joining our team means opportunities to grow through education and career development. Plus, competitive wages with a robust benefit package.
We also provide employees with mental health and wellness support tools, such as Telemedicine, Resilience counseling services, and more.
Start your career with Northwestel. Help us build a stronger North.
Northwestel. Our North. Our Home.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
The Human Resources Consultant is the primary contact for an assigned business unit. The HR Consultant is responsible for providing advice and consultation on a variety of HR issues with all levels of management, non-union and union employees. The position ensures accurate and consistent application of relevant legislation, collective agreements, terms and conditions of employment, policies and procedures. Particular emphasis is placed on HR generalist services such as recruitment and selection, job evaluation, compensation, labour relations, benefits administration, performance management and disability management. In support of service enhancements, the HR Consultant may be assigned projects or ongoing HR initiatives according to area of expertise, departmental and Company needs.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with the assigned business unit. Develop an awareness of the business challenges and objectives to drive a proactive approach to Human Resources. (20%)
- Provide consultation and coaching on issues related to recruitment and selection, job evaluation, labour relations, benefits administration, performance management and disability management. (10%)
- Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate personnel strategies including policies, programs and procedures to address the organization's human resource requirements. (10%)
- Ensures accurate and consistent application of relevant legislation, collective agreements, terms and conditions of employment, policies and procedures. (10%)
- Understand the state of your business unit and act as a conduit back into the HR team and to senior business leaders. (10%)
- Manage projects or ongoing HR initiatives according to area of expertise, departmental and Company needs. (10%)
- Coach people leaders through the employee Performance Management process. Facilitate semi-annual reviews of the ratings including follow up with performance plans. (10%)
- Collaborate with other Human Resource professionals in the department including, but not limited to, Managers of: Recruitment, Labour Relations, Policy and Benefits, and Training and Development. (10%)
- Actively participate in the Health & Safety program by working in compliance with OH&S Acts and Regulations, completing required training and reporting immediately to your Supervisor or Workplace H&S Committee member any work-related hazards and concerns. (5%)
- Knowledge of Canada’s North, its unique history, geography and cultural diversity with an ability to relate effectively to customers from varying social, economic and cultural backgrounds will be considered an asset. (5%)
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor degree with a major in human resources management or a related field of study.
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation or relevant professional designation in human resources.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressively responsible human resources professional experience in recruitment, job evaluation, labour relations and benefits administration.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- CPHR designation will be considered an asset
- Experience working with collective agreements in a union organization.
- Excellent knowledge of employment and labour legislation and government policies (e.g., Canada Labour Code, Employment Standards, Labour Relations Code, Employment Equity, Pay Equity, Human Rights).
- Intermediate to Advanced working level with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Visio).
- Prefer experience working in a highly automated HR environment with integrated enterprise HR and payroll information system, such as UltiPro or SAP.
- Demonstrated consultation, facilitation and relationship building skills are required to assist an internal client-base and work on projects/committees in a cross-divisional teams.
- Excellent communication and interviewing skills and the ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with employees from all levels of the Company.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical reasoning skills and judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively with considerable independence.
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a team member, contributing to the development and enhancement of the team.
- The candidate will be a high energy, goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborative methods.
- The candidate will be customer service focused and have demonstrated ability to achieve continuous improvement.
- Knowledge of the elements of a health and safety program will be considered an asset.
- As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.