The incumbent provides day to day administration of human resources and assists with payroll administration.
This is a Full-time position based on 40 hours per week. Normal hours of work – 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday; ½ hour unpaid meal break.
Deadline to Apply: August 31, 2019
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
- Participating in the development of HR objectives, policies, programs, procedure, and processes
- Providing full cycle recruitment
- On-boarding and general orientation of new employees
- Developing, maintaining, and continually improving orientation sessions & processes
- Maintaining secure and current employee personnel files and payroll records;
- Tracking employee benefits eligibility and probation employees for further follow up
- Ensuring employee benefit forms are completed and submitted to TSA Employee Benefits and copied to head office in a timely manner. Includes but not limited to enrolments, changes/updates;
- Interpreting the Collective Agreement and advising on its use
- Providing advice and general support to other leadership team members in matters such as personnel and human resources.
- Providing documentation and liaising with head office Human Resources as required
- Tracking mandatory and non-mandatory training
- Developing and maintaining ER Planning Schedule
- Co-ordinating or facilitating training events
- Developing and maintaining a confidential exit interview process
- Recommending ways and methods of improving the overall employee experience
- Offering employees general assistance in understanding procedures, policies, or organizational changes
- Inputting time entries into Payroll Management System
- Liaising with Territorial Headquarters (THQ) Payroll department to ensure proper recording of hours and payment to employees, T4s, ROEs, etc.;
- Ensuring Paid Time Off balances are up-to-date and accurate
- Issuing general notifications to staff regarding HR issues
- Maintaining meal sign in sheets;
- Updating and general upkeep of the employee handbook
- Maintaining policies and procedures manual for Human Resources.
Maintaining and/or providing reports/spreadsheets to respective individuals as required. Includes, but not limited to paid time off plans, training certification records with expire dates, employee new hires, employee terminations, seniority hours
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Post-Secondary education in Human Resources or equivalent
- A CHRP designation (or working towards completion)
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- 2-3 years of experience in the human resources field
Note: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs
- Experience in HRIS/payroll administration. Knowledge of UltiPro would be considered an asset
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to serve as knowledgeable resource to management and employees
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills
· Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching skills
- Above-average computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- General knowledge of labour relations, collective bargaining, and collective agreement interpretation
· General knowledge of applicable employment legislation
- Demonstrated ability to present information effectively in a group setting for training purposes
- Ability to work within the mandate of and embrace the mission of The Salvation Army
The successful incumbent will be required to complete/provide:
- Valid Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Valid non-violent crisis intervention certificate
- Valid First Aid certificate
- The Salvation Army on-line certification for abuse prevention
- Clear internal abuse registry check
- Participate in mandatory yearly training
Core values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.