We are looking to fill 2 different positions at the moment: Shop Foreman, and Off- and On-Road Mechanics (HET).
Shop Foreman: Reporting to the Fleet Manager, the Shop Foreman is responsible for the daily operation of our Yellowknife shop supporting both the Hauling and Construction Operations. Shop Foremen are expected to deliver on their objectives while supporting the Terminal in achieving necessary results. This is a great opportunity for an energetic leader to take on a diverse role in a fast-paced environment. In addition to having a solid transportation background including in-depth knowledge of highway tractors and trailers, the successful applicant must also possess a base level understanding of off-road construction equipment.
Heavy Equipment Technician: Reporting to the Shop Foreman, our Heavy Equipment Technicians are responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and repair of our fleet of transport trucks, trailers, and construction equipment. We’re looking for skilled technicians to support our repair shops with the ability to work independently and as part of our great team.
About the Shop Foreman position:
- Supervising and supporting all shop staff including heavy equipment technicians, wash bay attendants, tire technicians and the parts staff; ensure the staffing levels are adequate to complete the assigned workload
- Conducting employee reviews (30/60/80 day and annual reviews)
- Planning, organizing and supervising all aspects of maintenance including tires, washing, regular preventative maintenance, and component rebuilding
- Being aware and responsible for ensuring Health and Safety standards are adhered to in order to maintain a safe and productive workplace
- Responsible for communicating and coordinating any equipment needed in the shop with Operations
- Involved in maintenance and general up-keep of the facilities and applicable properties
- Being innovative and open-minded to new philosophies and ideas to improve any processes necessary to make the maintenance as effective and efficient as possible; keep abreast of new technology and industry wage standards
- Participating in employee relations, such as dispute resolution, discipline, communications in conjunction with Terminal Manager, Fleet Manager and Human Resources and create and maintain a positive work environment
- Other duties as required
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive compensation including immediate company-paid benefits package for you and your family
- We offer a wide range of other employee programs and incentives including a RRSP/DPSP matching program, annual bonus opportunities and scholarships opportunities for your children
- Referral reward payments up to $2,000 available per successful hire (certain conditions apply)
- We are a fun team and maintain a family-like atmosphere
- We listen to your ideas and give you an opportunity to make changes
- We have an uncompromising commitment to safety and lead by example every day through actively caring about one another
What you bring as a Shop Foreman:
- Licensed Heavy Equipment Technician – Truck and Transport (HD Mechanic) or equivalent experience
- Supervisory skills and experience required
- Comfortable in dealing with employee issues and concerns with respect and calmness
- Ability to be on-call at various times
- Well organized, detail oriented, enthusiastic and confident with a roll up your sleeves attitude towards work
- Ability to exercise continuous sound judgment when prioritizing maintenance and repairs for both the hauling and construction equipment
- Ability to maintain a sense of humour in challenging situations
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Capable of handling confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, requiring initiative and ambition, able to work independently
- A solid business presence complimented by personal drive, resourcefulness, maturity, integrity, honesty and sound business judgment
- The Shop Foreman will be required to live in Yellowknife on a full-time permanent basis. Relocation assistance will be provided should the successful candidate reside outside of Yellowknife.
What you bring as a Tech:
- Licensed Heavy Equipment Technician
- Off-road/construction experience is considered to be an asset
- Experience with B620 Transport Canada Regulations an asset
- CVIP or Class 1 license an asset
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and weekends
At Westcan, we dedicate ourselves to delivering complete, customer-driven transportation solutions. Since 1964, our team of industry professionals has worked to build a reputation for safety, on-time delivery, and unparalleled customer service. Staying true to this tradition is what keeps Westcan driving for excellence.
Please note, as a courtesy, we strongly encourage internal applicants to advise their immediate supervisor of their application for any position within the company.
Remember, Refer, and Earn! External applicants should apply online on the Career Opportunities page found under the Join Our Team link at www.westcanbulk.ca. Applicants for this position will need to produce proof of valid driver’s license and current driver’s abstract. Applicants in consideration will adhere to the company arranged health assessment and drug screen as well as criminal record search.
We love diversity! Westcan is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity in the workplace and equivalently considers applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities. We welcome applications from all interested individuals; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.