The Line Cook is responsible for ensuring the highest standards of hospitality and food safety are demonstrated at all times when creating memorable meals for our guests in the restaurant, lounge, and in-room dining.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follows all established and future kitchen Standard Operating Procedures.
- Reviews the daily production sheets with the Executive Chef and prepares the necessary food items in accordance with standards in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure that there is no interruption to guest service.
- Adheres to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistency.
- Ensures that station opening and closing procedures are completed.
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum, ensures proper rotation, labeling, and storing of food in order to reduce food cost expense.
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with hotel and government Food Safety guidelines.
- Reports any and all deficiencies in kitchen equipment functionality and quality of food products to Executive Chef in a timely fashion.
- Observes and practices a high standard of cleanliness and promotes safety within the kitchen.
- Keeps work station clean and organized; including fridges/freezers, countertops and stove tops. Practices the “clean as you go” philosophy.
- Ensures the quality & quantity of food meets hotel standards.
- Assists with training fellow teammates as required.
- Executes monthly and/or daily specials, working closely with Executive Chef to cross utilize product and eliminate waste.
- Researches and has knowledge of new cooking methods and trends.
- Removes all trash, recyclables and dirty linen.
- Reports all concerns related to Maintenance, Health and Safety, Security or Suspicious circumstances (including smells/sights and sound) immediately to the appropriate leader.
- Adheres to all standards, including Hygiene and Grooming, Health and Safety, Fire Safety.
- Provides exceptional guest service at all times.
Ensures customer concerns are addressed in a timely and professional manner
Job Specifications and Skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Experience: Cooking experience in a high-volume environment is desirable. Able to work well independently with little supervision.
Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, Maintains confidentiality; Actively listens to others without interrupting or distractions; Maintains a positive attitude even in negative situations; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things. Versatile, able to work under stressful situations. Must be able to work well under pressure. Takes pride in a job well done.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed. Able to work in a diverse work environment.
Quality Management: Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy, consistency and thoroughness. Must have attention to detail.
Cost Consciousness: Conserves organizational resources. Follows cash handling policies to verify funds and maintain accurate and ethical reporting of company finances.
Ethics: Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values.
Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly. Participates in the Nova Hotels Health & Safety Program
Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Commits to required hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Flexible to work a variety of shifts.
Initiative: Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Innovation: Generates suggestions for improving work.
Language and Communication Skills: Ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos in English. Ability to present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
Lifting - Under 20lbs 50% of work time, Carrying - Over 20lbs 10% of work time, Pulling - Over 20lbs 50% of work time, Bending, standing, reaching, and kneeling.
The work environment is a hotel setting, which has the following conditions: low-medium noise environment; high traffic area for internally and external guests, exposure to moving parts and equipment such as vacuum and steam cleaner. Potential exposure to theft and/or belligerent guests. Exposure to chemicals. Frequently working in areas of high temperatures around heavy equipment. Exposure to sharps and bio-hazards.