Northwestel is a truly northern company. We employ more than 500 skilled northern workers to help in delivering telecommunications service to 96 communities across Canada’s North. Together, we are a diverse group of northerners, working to connect our communities through innovative communication solutions designed for life in the North.
We offer a wide range of career opportunities, including positions in information technology, network engineering, customer service, marketing, finance, and human resources.
Northwestel is recognized as one of Canada’s best employers for recent graduates. Joining our team means opportunities to grow through education and career development. Plus, competitive wages with a robust benefit package.
We also provide employees with mental health and wellness support tools, such as Telemedicine, Resilience counseling services, and more.
Start your career with Northwestel. Help us build a stronger North.
Northwestel. Our North. Our Home.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
The Manager of Training and Development, reporting to the Director of Human Resources, is responsible for increasing the capability of the Northwestel team to face change and achieve the organizational vision. The position provides recommendations to all levels of the organization by influencing decision making regarding education trends, development gaps, and the efficient use of development resources.
- Lead and develop a Training & Development Specialist.
- Consult with, and provide advice to, the Executive for alignment between training priorities and corporate objectives.
- Improving process for the selection and implementation of training opportunities.
- Responsible for the Performance Management process: review, implementation, communication and support.
- Determine and support the implementation of curriculum for specific corporate needs – such as leadership development and customer service.
- Analyzing training initiatives and expenditures to ensure value is received and they are in line with corporate objectives.
- Work with other members of the Human Resources Department to meet the team’s performance objectives, e.g., career planning, retention programs, high performance development, etc.
- Contribute to the development and update various the HR plan and strategies, including annual Corporate and HR Business Plans.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in Human Resources and a minimum of five years related experience. A combination of related experience and education will also be considered.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal, communication, presentation and analytical skills.
- Knowledgeable in web-based technologies and capable of applying them to employee development functions.
- High attention to detail with a focus on solutions, results and continuous improvement as well as sound problem solving and negotiation skills with an ability to understand broad Human Resources and business issues.