The caseworker provides support to residential and Independent living services clients. The caseworker provides guidance to adults with chronic mental health needs. Responsible for teaching and assisting clients with life skills and fostering inclusion to enhance independence. This is a full-time unionized position.
Application Deadline:20 November 2020
• Implement case plans and monitor progress.
• Provides advocacy services.
• Implements emergency/incidental behavioral interventions, including utilizing Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training.
• Provides immediate stabilization crisis management support and provides emergency incidental behavior management.
• Implements formal sessions for clients or refers them to external agencies that offer formal sessions on a variety of topics including anger management; grief and loss; sexuality; self-esteem; abuse; violence; addictions and personal safety.
• Ensures clients understand and adhere to program rules and responsibilities
• Assists Primary Caseworker in completing assessments regarding the client's life skills, safety, and physical/emotional risk.
• Also implements emergency behavioral interventions and identifies and documents potential problematic or maladaptive behaviors
• Administers medications according to prescriptions and agency policy when required
• Ensures the program safety policies are followed at all times
• Post-secondary education with a focus on social work or nursing( Required)
• Two years’ experience working as a support worker in a residential/outreach setting
• Verbal Judo and/or NVCI
• Mental First Aid
• Suicide Intervention
• Life Skill and Recreational programming for high needs clients
• Valid driver’s license
• Clean driver’s abstract
Required Skills and Abilities
• Case management and counseling skills
• The ability to respond appropriately, decisively, and effectively in crisis situations and in a stressful environment
• Effective communication in English both written and oral
• Effective assessment, observation and recording skills
• Ability to work within a teamwork structure though will be required to work with minimal supervision
• Effective interviewing, report writing and group facilitation skills
• Understanding and skilled in working with: Aboriginal and Inuit Cultures: Addictions: Mental Health and other social issues
• Computer skills are required
• Ability to uphold and enforce policies and procedures
Effective interpersonal communication and interactive skills with individuals experiencing chronic mental health issues, effects of intoxication and other behavioral issues
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 128 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
Core values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years