Are you a finance professional who enjoys building relationships and establishing connections? Are you a community inspired individual with a strong focus on providing excellent service?
We are looking for a new team member to provide financial expertise and front-line operational support to our Northern based Projects on the MakeWay Shared Platform. As our Northern Operations Specialist you will have the opportunity to use your skills and expertise towards helping your portfolio of Shared Platform Projects grow. You enjoy supporting others to cultivate growth and achieve greater impact. You will enjoy working collaboratively with the Finance and Shared Platform teams so that everything can run as smoothly and effectively as possible.
MakeWay is a leading national charity that enables community-led transformation for a healthy environment, social equity and economic prosperity for all Canadians. Our Shared Platform is home to over 60 projects working on community-led solutions that further our mission. Working for the MakeWay community would provide you with the satisfaction of knowing that everything you do is a part of the important work MakeWay does in providing uncommon solutions for the common good. If our values align with yours and you want to learn, grow and develop within a supportive team that shares knowledge and cares, then we want to hear from you! Join us and make a difference.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with a portfolio of projects and the MakeWay finance team to ensure effective and efficient financial management of projects including monitoring and addressing financial health and sustainability of projects
- Conduct financial analysis and reporting for the portfolio of projects involving complex multi-funder programming
- Responsible for the development of accounting approaches and ongoing reporting for one special project requiring international granting and multi-entity operations
- Ensure analysis and reports for project staff are timely, accurate and meet the needs of interest holders
- Assist project staff with budget preparation, cash forecasting, and analysis to support decision-making and review for accuracy and completeness
- Identify and collaborate on improvements to systems, processes, reports, and technical tools
- Respond to queries and provide technical support to project staff
- Prepare ad hoc reports as required
- Assist in onboarding and financial systems training for new projects and project staff
Shared Platform responsibilities:
- Provide a portfolio of projects with front-line, day-to-day support including grants management, preparation of contracts, financial review and governance support
- Assist projects with funder communications, ensure timely submissions of all funding proposals and reports, and manage projects to ensure all commitments are met
- Determine when vendor contracts are required, assist with development of deliverables, monitor required reporting and payments
- Review leases and other significant contractual arrangements
- Actively manage risk to MakeWay and its projects through day -to-day issue identification and problem solving, monitoring compliance with project Terms of Reference and ensuring each project is appropriately insured
- Work with projects to monitor and track political activity, fundraising activity and other T3010 reporting requirements
- Facilitate intake of projects in concert with all MakeWay departments including response to initial inquiries, information gathering and assessment, management recommendations for approval and orientation
- Identify, and collaborate on implementation/improvement of MakeWay systems, processes and technical tools
Who You Are:
- Adaptable - You are able to manage and prioritize incoming requests, juggle conflicting priorities and deliver multiple assignments, all while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- A great communicator - You naturally orient towards customer service and can translate complex financial information into clear and simple language. You are helpful and friendly on the phone, and your emails are clear and informative
- Decision-maker: You have excellent high attention to detail paired with analytical and problem-solving abilities. You are practiced at digesting information, assessing importance and risks, and making clear and timely decisions
- Tech-savvy: You have strong computer skills in Word, Excel and cloud-based systems. Experience with Salesforce, Box, Concur, NetSuite is an asset
- Team oriented collaborator. You are self-motivated and comfortable working virtually with colleagues across Canada
Experience You Bring:
- 3+ years’ experience in a Financial role
- CPA Designation or equivalent education/experience
- Knowledge of international accounting practices
It would be a bonus if you have:
- Financial experience in the charitable/non-profit sector
- Working knowledge of charity regulatory environment and reporting requirements, fundraising, grant development and reporting
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- Salary of $73,500 - $85,260 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Three weeks’ vacation
- Flexible work environment
- Committed colleagues
- Fun and collaborate work environment
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
Please send us your resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter please share what makes you an idea fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay Central Support team. This position will stay open until filled.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!