A LITTLE ABOUT US
We have invested a great deal of time debating, shaping and identifying why we exist as a company and who we are as a team. It is critical to us, even non-negotiable, that new people who join our team are excited and committed to our way of doing business and share specific core values.
Ryfan will celebrate it’s 40th birthday this year, so we are a seasoned and experienced company. However, as we mature we are ready to take our next step forward. Here’s what that looks like to us:
Our vision is to transform the MEP construction industry. The industry is ripe for innovation, and we want to move to the frontier of that development.
Our mission is maximizing customer value through relentless process improvement. Process improvement not only delivers cost-savings to our customers, but it enhances their experience with us.
Our passion is building something great. Of course, we deliver exceptional services, but we also strive to build great teams, relationships and communities.
Our niche is unconventional projects. Cookie-cutter projects aren’t really our market. If a project is weird, innovative, logistically complicated, remote, or any of those, it’s probably right in our niche.
Last but never least, there are three “uniques” that make us stand out:
First, we invest in and help create exceptional employees. Not only do we want you to build a career with Ryfan, we want to help you build a great life.
Second, we are leading practitioners of productivity improvement methods, tools and techniques. If there is a better way to do it, we want to be first in. We never tire of making improvements.
Last, we take leading edge construction techniques to unique or underserved markets. We go into markets where our competitors may be deterred by the challenges. We enjoy success where others fear risk because we are seasoned and experienced.
The reality is, we can’t achieve our Mission without the right people on board. It is critical to us that everyone on the Ryfan team naturally share these core values:
We build community. What we build is not great unless it creates value for the community. The value is larger than the project itself if it incorporates the legacy of our interactions in the communities in which we work and live; includes the way we engage with customers, consultants, other trades and suppliers; encompasses how we teach, learn and grow as a team on-site, in the office and everywhere in between; and involves working to create more winners (“more pie for everyone”) instead of focusing only on winning (“biggest piece of the pie for us”).
We embrace abundant thinking and reject a scarcity mentality. We avoid blame or fault-finding and we work relentlessly toward solutions.
We earn trust. Communities are formed through relationships and relationships are built upon a foundation of trust. We strive to earn and be worthy of the faith placed in us by those with whom we work and interact. We do this by saying what we mean, meaning what we say, and doing what we say we are going to do.
We pursue excellence. To earn trust, we must be realistic about our capabilities and committed to always sharpening and expanding them. We understand that excellence is not a fixed point, but rather a path or way of doing things. We are steadfast in our pursuit of continuous improvement.
Be fearless. We champion courage to seek out flaws in our methods and push for further enhancements in our performance. We are fearless in our willingness to see ourselves objectively and in our openness to constructive coaching.
We practice discipline. We strive to convert experience into wisdom in a disciplined way. We acquire knowledge from others and incorporate “best practice” or “leading practice” into our work. We share and use our hard-won learning with the rest of our team. In this way we grow, develop and evolve the Ryfan Way.
We celebrate success. We take the time to celebrate our moments of greatness, the instances of excellence, the acquisition of wisdom, the attainment of a bond of trust, and the warmth of community. Celebration is the spark and fuel that rekindles our drive to pursue our passion of building something great.
Coming up, we have some exciting goals to accomplish across the company and within the Operations team. All of 2019 is about building a “line of sight” throughout the organization from the newest hire all the way to the Managing Director. As part of this team you’ll help build scorecards, metrics, forecasts and budgets to monitor and anticipate the health of projects and the whole organization so we can adjust our plans more quickly to seize opportunity and minimize risk. We have some audacious goals around schedule variance, our cost performance index and customer satisfaction that you’ll help us achieve. We will also be systematically reviewing, updating or building core processes across the organization, and particularly in Operations.
You can expect us, and should hold us accountable to, continuously improve our communication with all people in the organization. Expect to have growing clarity about all aspects of our business, right down to the financial statements. Decisions should be made closest to the opportunity or challenge and should have the input of all stakeholders. It is a work in progress, but we are stubbornly persistent.
As a Project Manager, you will fulfill the following accountabilities and responsibilities:
Leadership, Management & Accountability Maintenance
- Support and ensure the achievement of the squad’s 10, 3 and 1-year goals as well as quarterly “rocks” and other goals;
- Simplify, structure and systematize the work within your squad and amongst all Ryfan squads or departments;
- Develop, coach and mentor your squad. This includes appropriately delegating tasks and responsibilities and then holding your squad accountable. Occasionally, this means having timely “difficult” conversations when needed;
- Effectively communicate with your team and engage them in their work and the organization as a whole;
- Predict future needs and develop your team in advance to satisfy those emerging needs;
- Be a cultural ambassador of the Ryfan Way and demonstrate our Core Values by your own behaviour;
- Conduct end-of-project performance assessments for Project Coordinators, Project Administrators and Field Superintendents assigned to that project;
- Make recommendations to the Director of Operations regarding all aspects of your squad’s performance including recommendations on hiring, promotions, succession planning, professional development and formal discipline or conclusion of employment when necessary.
Scope & Schedule Management
- Manage and oversee electrical and mechanical engineering and construction projects of various sizes and complexities;
- Lead a project team to ensure technical accuracy of project deliverables;
- Manage a team to ensure cost-effective, safe and timely completion of projects to meet or exceed client expectations;
- Manage project activities throughout lifecycle, including the allocation of adequate resources, documentation and other factors necessary for success;
- Collaborate with other internal stakeholders to forecast needs and support proactive planning and resource deployment;
- Prepare and review specification and concept reports;
- Maintain project schedules and project cost summaries to track work progress, budget status, and manpower resource utilization;
- Assist with Shop drawing reviews as required;
- Develop and support line-of-sight throughout the organization to ensure nimble management of productivity and enhance the profitability of the organization.
Cost, Budget & Quality Management
- Analyze customer design proposals and specifications to determine cost-effective solutions;
- Ensure professional quality services in all facets of work;
- Conduct site visits as necessary and in accordance with the schedule;
- Provide quality and cost control during the design and construction process;
- Escalate and identify the need for additional services and fees as necessary.
- Work with clients to deliver the end project;
- Foster new business development opportunities;
- Maintain and grow current business and client relationships;
Project Closing & Warranty Satisfaction
- Conduct project post-mortems to support continuous improvement of our operations and client relationships;
- Complete, resolve, approve and close all project documentation including final reporting obligations, work orders, holdbacks and pay-outs, equipment return, lay-offs, contract terminations, and so forth;
- Support the Project Administrator to ensure the complete paper and electronic project is properly closed and archived;
- Celebrate the success with your project squad!
Like all job descriptions, your accountabilities and responsibilities will evolve over time to support Ryfan’s goals, project needs and your individual growth. As a result, you should expect your job description to change from time to time.
Your new bestie is Emad Delavari, Director of Operations. Emad has 15 years’ leadership experience in the oil, gas, pipeline, and petrochemical sectors in Canada, United States, Europe and Asia. Emad has used his PhD in strategic management, production and operations, his MBA, and his Prosci Change Management skills to lead programs at other organizations for a global ERP roll-out, to drive a 400% project sales increase from a $30M base (concurrently building the project delivery team), and to help a government department roll-out a large security-sensitive strategic initiative. Emad is responsible for helping Ryfan Transform MEP Construction, and he is already making great gains.
You are one of 6 savvy Project Managers. You are working out of our Head Office in Yellowknife, NT and the others are located in our Spruce Grove, AB office.
Your project squad is a nimble team of Project Coordinators, Project Administrators and Field Superintendents. Your squad may change with each project based on each person’s skill set and the requirements of the project. Although they are not dedicated exclusively to you, we do try to create as much consistency in your team as possible from project to project. For your project, this squad reports to you. However, members of your squad may also have a supervisor for team-wide or non-project purposes (ex. Project Administrator & Team Lead).
A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR TEAM
Over 2018, the Operations team has grown and shifted. In 2018 we hired 2 more Project Managers to round out that team and we are still growing with this position and others. We are streamlining our team structure to better support nimble project management and work to our strengths. We have clarified accountabilities and responsibilities throughout the organization to make sure each person understands the critical part you each play in the success of a project and the organization.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
Our ideal candidate possesses the following or comparable qualifications, experience and education:
- Electrical or Mechanical Journeyman, CET or P.Eng. with 5-10 years of experience as a project manager or coordinator. Your background prepares you to be comfortable with building (commercial and institutional), industrial and mining construction;
- Experience and understanding of lighting, data communications and security systems is an asset;
- Strong understanding of engineering contractors, suppliers and manufacturers;
- Mechanical and electrical coordination experience;
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines;
- Highly effective negotiation, diplomatic, and conflict resolutions skills;
- Advanced interpersonal, team building, leadership and organizational skills. You are committed to developing your team through evaluation, training, coaching, and providing feedback;
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of staff, including technical, professional, and all levels of management;
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments and squads, key managers, and other stakeholders;
- Ability to remotely lead and coach your squad working on-site and off-site, giving them the opportunity to solve problems independently and providing support when necessary.
In addition to living our Core Values daily, our ideal candidate demonstrates these job-specific competencies:
- Client Focus: You provide added value through service excellence to our internal and external clients;
- Planning & Organizing: You develop, implement and adjust plans to reach goals, while ensuring the optimal use of resources;
- Problem Solving:You identify problems and the solutions to them;
- Results Driven:You organize time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way. You take the time to prepare a risk-adjusted project plan with your team before starting and you can adapt the plan on the fly as necessary. You are equally comfortable with the day-to-day project details and the big picture.
- Team Leadership: You build strong teams by assuming a leadership role in helping others achieve excellent results. You recognize and help others to see how your team fits into the Ryfan family.
This position starts at $110,000 per year. However, a competitive compensation package will be negotiated based upon your experience and qualifications. This position is eligible for the following benefits:
- extended health
- emergency travel medical
- long term disability (LTD)
- life insurance
- accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
This position will be eligible to participate in our quarterly bonus program (target launch in 2020).