Reporting to the Chef at the Gahcho Kue Mine Site, the 1st Cook is a relief position that will go to camp 2-3 weeks at a time as required.
The 1st Cook assists the Chef in leading and directing the Food Service Team in preparing and serving all food products based on the requirements of the day-to-day menu, and the direction of our client.
Further duties include (but are not limited to): menu development, the training of junior staff members, assisting with cleaning duties, and ensuring that Food Safe practices are strictly adhered to at all times.
The successful candidate must also be willing and able to fulfill all reasonable related requests of the Chef and our client.
- A Red Seal certification, Journeyman Cook status or equivalent is a requirement of the position.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Impeccable safety standards
- Food Service management background or have held a Sous-Chef position in a hotel or restaurant environment.
- Experience overseeing food production and service for up to 750 people.
- Current Food Safe, standard First Aid, WHMIS and WSCC Mine Supervisor Level 2 certification.
- Ability to balance daily menu specials alongside existing set menu, taking into account food cost factors, variety and presentation.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to lead the kitchen team during peak periods of production in the absence of the Chef.
- Ability to complete all assigned tasks in time frame allotted by the Chef.
- A clear understanding of all food service equipment (meat slicers, buffalo choppers, ovens, mixers etc.) and ability to maintain corporate safe work procedures while operating such equipment.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Ability to work 12 hour days in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to maintain a clean working environment.
We thank all applicants for submissions, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Bouwa Whee delivers great food, housekeeping and accommodation management services under some of the world’s most challenging conditions. Because we are the North – 100 percent aboriginal owned and headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – we know what northerners want and how to deliver it. That’s why we’re the contractor of choice at Diavik, Gahcho Kué and Snap Lake, three of Canada’s premier mines
For a list of all available Bouwa Whee Catering positions please click on the following link: https://detoncho.bamboohr.com/jobs/