CBC North presents a rare opportunity to spend time in a stunning part of the country with a diverse climate and people.
We are looking for someone who will forecast weather for the entire North of 60.
From the sprawling mountains of the Yukon, following the shimmering Aurora Borealis of the Northwest Territories along to the Eastern Arctic of Nunavut and the region of Nunavik.
The people depend on weather broadcasting to provide them essential information when heading out on the land to hunt or fish. They also require information about the weather conditions when traveling to remote communities which are only accessible by air.
You have a flare for telling visual stories using creative techniques to present daily on air television and radio reports while communicating a dynamic social media presence.
You perform reporting and editorial assignments related to the gathering, writing and presentation of program material for radio, television and digital media.
This will require you to develop and maintain contact with a variety of sources as well as work in close co-operation with your program unit.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Bachelor of Science degree or Certificate in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or other comparable discipline required. University degree must include course work in synoptic meteorology, atmospheric dynamics, and thermodynamics.
- Three years of directly related experience with the ability to report for Television.
- Must be a team player with solid people skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships with network colleagues.
- Knowledge of weather graphics system an asset.
- An engaging on-air presence with strong presentation style and ease with live work and a willingness to conduct on-air interviews.
- Ability to go live on air without a script or teleprompt.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Independent, self-motivated, a self-starter.
- Ability to work effectively in order to meet tight deadlines is required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, overtime and weekends as required.