Under the direction of the MHSS Supervisor the employee provides resident support services, on-site supervision, housekeeping, and security for the NWT Resource Centre – Mental Health Support Services.
This is a casual unionized position. As this is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, it will be a 40-hour work week until September 1, 2019. The applicant must be between 15 and 30 years old on the first day of hire.
· Implements formal and informal training plans communicated by Caseworkers
· Responds to crisis situations in the home while on shift such as medical emergencies and behavioral issues
· Offers clients opportunity for growth, development, and choice of lifestyle
· Provides advocacy services or teaches self-advocacy for clients
· Post-secondary education or related experience in social services
· Effective interpersonal communication in English, both written and oral
· Effective assessment, observation, and documentation skills
· Ability to implement policy and procedure
· Ability to work within a teamwork structure and will be required to work alone
· Understanding of Indigenous and Inuit cultures; addictions, mental health, and other social issues
· Conflict Resolution, First Aid, Verbal Judo and/or NVCI, Suicide Intervention, Mental Health First Aid are all an asset
· Acceptable Criminal Records Check required
· Valid class 5 driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract required
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 128 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
Core values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.