Habitat for Humanity NWT’s ReStore is seeking an organized, efficient, flexible, energetic and personable individual for the position of Sales and Donations Associate (Summer Student). The ReStore is a unique retail environment that sells new and used donated building supplies, home improvement merchandise and furniture to the public. Qualified candidates will have a “customer first” mindset, and have the desire to work in a nonstandard retail environment. This is an opportunity for someone who believes in the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
• Assist with the retail operation including preparing donations for the floor, making sales, operating the cash register and ensuring the store and property is clean and safe.
• Promptly and carefully load and unload donations in and out of the Habitat truck, and assist customers with loading their purchases into their personal vehicles.
• Interact positively with customers, donors, volunteers, and staff in all verbal and non-verbal communications
• Provide superior customer service to everyone who enters the store.
• Learn and follow store policies and procedures.
This position is full-time temporary for three months (May-June-July and qualified candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
• Education: Minimum High School Diploma or GED
• Aged between 17-30 to comply with Canada Summer Jobs requirements
• Experience: Retail experience preferred with minimal knowledge in construction or building materials. - Knowledge of computers and social media platforms e.g. Facebook
• Skills and Attributes:
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) fair market values of new and used building materials.
- Superior customer service and team-minded attitude.
- Able to lift up to 75 pounds, work standing, sitting, squatting, bending, kneeling for periods of time
- Capable of performing outside duties under all weather conditions.
- Operate a Point of Sale system with proficiency and integrity
- Able to encourage and direct volunteers with a wide range of skills and abilities.
• Job location is adjacent to the City Dump on Old Highway 4 and the successful applicant will need their own transportation to and from work.
Habitat for Humanity Northwest Territories is one of 72 Canadian affiliates and is a member of Habitat for Humanity International, which has built, rehabilitated, repaired, or improved more than 400 000 homes worldwide, providing shelter for more than 2 million people since 1976.