The Service Coordinator supports the residents (upstairs) and tenants (downstairs) in the twenty-four single room occupancy units in the Yellowknife Women’s Centre. This includes assistance with income assistance applications and paperwork, budgeting, and facilitating tenant meetings. The Service Coordinator works with tenants and residents to set goals, increase their skills, and navigate service systems, with an emphasis on helping individuals obtain sustainable housing, and work towards employment or other meaningful activity.
The Service Coordinator is responsible for:
- Case management and system navigation support
- Income assistance and budgeting support
- Facilitation of tenant and resident group decision making
- Creation and facilitation of group personal development activities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree, plus three years’ experience within a non-profit. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience providing case management support and other supports to women and homeless people from diverse backgrounds that struggle with a myriad of challenges.
- Broad knowledge of social and economic issues facing Northern women and in particular, First Nations, Inuit, and Inuvialuit women.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to work cooperatively and professionally as part of a team and with other agencies and community partners.
- Ability to research areas of interest and produce documents based on this information.
- Good computer skills.
- Updated immunization and criminal records check.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification
The incumbent must:
- Maintain strict confidentiality in performing the responsibilities of this position.
- Be self-motivated and have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate the ability to accept responsibility, be open-minded and honest.
- Demonstrate culture sensitivity.
- Be supportive, compassionate and understanding.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Be able to work in a high stress work environment.