The Summer Student will work 40 hours per week from 11am-7pm Tuesday to Saturday
The Youth Worker and is responsible to interact with youth, provide leadership and supervision, and promote skill development. The role is also responsible for security and cleanliness of building and grounds, and meal preparation.
Job opening is suitable for current student or youth who plans to return to school or college in 2020-21.
The Summer Student - Youth Worker will:
- Assist with planning and supervising interactive youth programs
- Provide mentorship and coaching to Youth at Risk and youth experiencing homelessness
- Engage youth in skill building and leadership development
- Ensure safety and security of building and grounds.
- Preferred applicant will be enrolled in studies in Social Services, Enforcement, Health or related fields. Minimum completion of Grade 11 (enrolled in Grade 12 for upcoming year).
- Crisis intervention and Suicide Intervention training an asset.
- Experience with at-risk and youth experiencing homelessness an asset.
- First Aid Certificate and CPR are required (will be provided)
SideDoor is celebrating 25 years supporting YOUth (1995-2020).
SideDoor has grown exponentially, now offering a variety of supports to assist youth.
- Supports including day shelter, meals and snacks, laundry and shower facilities, hygiene products, computers, telephone, fax, etc.
- Drop-In Centre provides a safe alternative to Yellowknife streets including practical supports and life skills: meal served at 5pm, recreation, cultural and social supports, etc.
- Hope's Haven at 5114-52nd Street 24/hour Housing and Supports
- Emergency Shelter
- Transitional Housing - YOUth in Transition
1. Housing and Supports:
* Temporary: Emergency Shelter -
Safe Haven for YOUth experiencing homelessness (on site)
* Transitional: Youth in Transition –
Short-term housing and supports (on site)
* Permanent: HOME4U (including Housing First 4 YOUth) –
Permanent Housing and Supports (off site)
2. Resource Centre 4 YOUth:
HOME4U: Housing and Tenancy
HELP4U: Employment, Literacy and Training
HOPE4U: Mental Health and Addictions & Practical Supports and Life Skills
Including: Referral Services and Practical Supports –
Drop-In Centre, Meals, Showers, Laundry, etc
The SideDoor exists to instil values, character and community that will empower Northern youth to find fulfilment (HOPE) by providing a safe haven and practical supports. We are committed to preventing, reducing and ending youth homelessness in Yellowknife for youth, ages 12-24.