Position Title: Supported Living Worker
Purpose and Scope of Position: The Yellowknife Association for Community Living (Association) is a non-profit organization providing services to individuals with intellectual disabilities and their families, assisting them in living meaningful lives in supportive communities.
The Supported Living Worker ensures the well-being of clients in all aspects of daily living including residential services. A key component of this job is to assist clients in their physical, social, emotional and life skills development. This increases their independence and allows them to function appropriately in the community. The work includes:
- Providing support to adults in care. Services provided include crisis intervention, behavior management, and life skills training, whether on a one-to-one basis or in a group environment.
- Planning, developing, implementing and evaluating recreational, social, economic and/or educational activities for clients.
- The Worker strives to create a positive and enjoyable atmosphere in order to encourage client participation in all aspects of life.
- The Worker supports the independence of each client by not doing for them but doing with them. Each client is encouraged to participate in all facets of daily life to the extent that they are able.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Aids clients to allow them to function more safely and independently in their own homes/program and in the community and facilitates physical, recreational, social and educational activities.
Direct Client Support (always based on the principle of promoting independence and encouraging the client to do as much as they can for themselves)
- Assists and teaches clients daily life skills and/or behaviour management training.
- Assists and teaches clients personal hygiene and grooming i.e. bathing, oral hygiene, and toileting. Depending on client, may assist with hygiene, grooming, dispensing and administering medication.
- Assists and teaches clients basic cooking, meal planning and preparation. Assists clients with the preparation of meals, snacks, etc. with safe food handling and preparation, safety, and health standards.
- With the Team Leader and the clients where possible, delivers a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu designed to meet the needs of the clients, ensuring that meals are nutritious and satisfying. May plan and help prepare special diets or special events meals in consultation with the organization’s program staff.
- With the clients, purchases food items necessary for the preparation of meals. Ensures purchases are within approved budget limits and ensures that inventories of food and other related items are maintained.
- Assists clients as needed in attending appointments, work placements and other activities.
- Ensures that all requirements are met to provide safe transportation.
- Provides support and feedback to clients.
- Acts as a positive role model for clients including modelling behaviours and household activities.
- Encourages and facilitates the participation of individuals in a range of activities and programs, both within and outside the home.
- Monitors clients’ well-being and works with the team leader to address issues.
- Assists clients with therapeutic rehabilitation activities after receiving instruction.
- Assists clients in cleaning rooms within their home: washes walls; scrubs, cleans and vacuums floors; dusts furniture; cleans mirrors and windows.
- Provides life skills training to clients.
- Answer phone and/or in-person inquiries and routes to appropriate staff member if required. Responds to routine queries with regard to the organization and services provided.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of internal fire regulations and procedures, and other emergency procedures. Ensures health and safety standards are maintained.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The following are required:
- Relevant Post-secondary diploma
- Current valid drivers licence with no major infractions on the driving record
- Criminal record check
- Ability to engage in activities including those involving lifting or pushing up to 30 pounds (including gardening, cleaning, yard maintenance)